Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Road signs in the streaming series "The Last of Us" season 1 episode 9

While streaming "The Last of Us", I saw a scene where the characters come upon some road signs that say "I-80 West" and "I-15" North".  I knew that this could only be in Salt Lake City, although initially, they don't say that on the show.  However, these road signs don't make sense to me.  The area of Salt Lake City where these roads split contains the intersection of many roads and is quite complicated.  There are many signs leading to roads going in many directions, so I used to refer to this area jokingly as "spaghetti junction". 

I can't capture an image from the streaming service, but I found the equivalent picture from the video game that the show is based on.  The series actually follows the video game story very closely.



The series is not actually filmed in the United States.  It is filmed in Canada, so the road signs are fake.

In the show, there is not much delay from the characters going from Colorado to Wyoming and then to Salt Lake City.  They do this on foot, which would be very difficult since the total trip is over 500 miles.   However, I should point out that many of the early Mormon settlers also did this journey on foot.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment