Friday, May 21, 2021

Stargate SG-1 is a great series


Only rarely do I pay attention to broadcast television.  In the small city of Columbus, Indiana with an indoor antenna, I receive just a handful of stations, most of which are useless.  I get only one major television network.  There is a science fiction channel called "Comet" that I watch more than anything else, although I don't watch it very often.  About a month ago I noticed that they were playing an episode of Stargate SG-1 that I liked, so rather than watch it with commercials on television, I watched the same episode on Netflix streaming.

My point is that there is something very special about this series.  Even though I had already seen the entire series three times since its inception in 1997, I ended up rewatching the final two seasons again, which I think are really excellent, save for three or four episodes near the end that feel like filler.  (The truly magnificent show Battlestar Galactica had the same problem toward its end.)  Then Stargate SG-1 finishes off with a couple of made-for-TV movies that are really good.

The series is magical for me because I became attached to the characters.  If you love the characters on any show, then it is going to be addicting.

Stargate SG-1 also has some particularly good story arcs.  The first season starts a little rough, but it quickly gets better.  For the most part, this show improves with every new season.   The last two seasons deal with a new story arc that I like very much. 

Around 2009 the producers made an improved version of the pilot TV movie, "Children of the Gods".  It is better edited and looks better, and they took out a nude scene that some people might find objectionable.  This improved version is not available on Netflix.  

I complained to Netflix about the video quality of Stargate SG-1 on their service, because the resolution appears to be about the same as videotape.  

The spinoff series "Stargate Atlantis" is at least as good.  It has a more consistent quality.  The other short-lived spinoff series, "Stargate Universe", had a weak start, but over time got really good.



No comments:

Post a Comment